The BEST Fish Tacos (paleo/keto/whole 30)
Drumroll, please….The Best Fish Tacos that are paleo, keto, Dr. Sheena's Detox, and Whole 30 approved are finally here!
More Omega 3’s, please! Fish is the best way to drive down inflammation thanks to its amazing fatty acid profile. Eating more omega-3’s 3 has been shown to prevent your immune system from releasing inflammatory-causing signals. Stiff achy joints need more fish!! So what better way to get more fish than stuffing it in a delicious fish taco?
I could seriously eat these fish tacos every day. They are light, easy to digest, and inflammation-busting! # winning
Even though fish has anti-inflammatory properties, there are a few traditional ingredients that could potentially be inflammatory. First off in the flame blame game, is the corn tortilla or worse a flour tortilla! Corn and flour have a high lectin count. Lectins are the plant's defense mechanism against predators, LIKE YOU! They can cause gas, bloating, fatigue, and brain fog. Additionally, they decrease the ability to absorb minerals (hello magnesium deficiency issues of the world!) Gluten in particular has been genetically modified, as well as high levels of glyphospate (ROUND UP). I could write a whole blog about gluten, but for today's purposes just know that I use the Almond or Cassava Siete Brand of taco shells for this meal!
These Amazing Fish tacos are also Dairy- Free!
Ok now, what's wrong with dairy you ask?
Well, the easiest thing to say is that dairy is made for baby cows. I know, I know, it tastes amazing. I love dairy, and still eat it but try to limit it. Dairy presents differently to human immune systems. For some people, dairy seems to cause no underlying issues with digestion. For others, it is wreaking havoc on their gut and immune response. It can cause widespread inflammation, and genetics determines how dairy may affect you.
Other than digestive issues, dairy contains insulin-like growth factors which can lead to cancer, as well as diabetes and heart disease. The bottom line, it's not for humans. I still eat it, but look for alternatives when I can. The delicious crema sauce for these mouth-watering tacos can be as spicy or as mild as you would like!
Two ingredients are all you need for this amazing sauce. I use soy-free veganaise, because the eggs in mayo always hurt my stomach. You can certainly use a paleo mayo is best!
Mix the sriracha in, stir it, and BOOM! Perfect every time.
So eat up, and grab a second helping, because the whole dang recipe is super healthy for you!!
3– 8oz fillets of grouper, red snapper, or cod
1– 8oz bag of chopped cabbage
1 – bunch of organic fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
1 cup of soy-free Vegenaise or Paleo Mayo
2 tsp of Sriracha (can add more or less depending on spicy preference)
1 cup of Vegan Feta or Queso Fresca (if dairy is not a problem)
2 Limes or Lemons (quartered)
2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
Avocado oil spray
Siete Brand (Cassava Flour Tacos)
- Sprinkle seasoning salt and pepper to taste over the fish fillets.
- Heat the avocado oil over medium heat in a skillet, gently lay the fish in the pan and cook until white and flaky flipping them often. Using the end of a spatula, chop the fish to make it easier for stuffing.
- While the fish is cooking rinse and chop the cilantro, onions, and quarter the limes.
- Mix the Vegenaise or mayo with the Sriracha sauce in a small bowl.
- Spray a small skillet over medium heat with avocado oil spray. Gently lay the flour tortillas in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Cassava flour cooks fast!!
- Build your taco: tortilla on the bottom, fish, cabbage, onions, cheese, cilantro, and a fresh squeeze of lemon or lime over the top. Then drizzle the desired amount of sriracha crema sauce over the top. Enjoy!
If dairy-free and grain-free are not important to you, by all means, use a corn tortilla and queso fresco for the cheese! Also, take care not to overcook the cassava tortilla shell, , a few minutes on each side is plenty!